Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Scars from stitches
abethanyg posted:
In June I was in a car accident that left me with a huge gash on the left side of my jaw. I got about 9 or 10 stitches. After getting the stitches removed, everything healed well. The scar tissue was bumpy but I figured it would flatten after awhile. It hasn't. It's gotten even bumpier (if that's even a word). The scar is constantly itching and hurts when I push on it or rub my finger over it. It is not warm and is not a deep red or anything that would alert me to it being infected. But I feel like the bumpiness (almost like two shallow bubbles) is not normal. Should I be worried? Or do I need to wait longer?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
You may have developed a keloid- which is a type of raised, occasionally itchy or painful, scar.

I would suggest seeing your dermatologist as there are numerous topicals, injectables and lasers that can help with the symptoms and appearance of the scar.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

marciepez replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
I would also try Cellnique's Vital Repair Serum for scars. It worked really well for me. I would strongly recommend it http://www.cellnique.com/cellnique/skin-care-product/shop-by-problems/scars.html/

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.