Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dark complexion
Minnal posted:
Hi Doctor, I need your advice please! My face is darker than rest of my body. I have tried bleaching, facials and lots of face creams (Neutrogena/ Vichy/ Olay/ Ponds), but the effect stays only for some time. When I wash my face the face looks quite fair, but it turns dark the moment I apply either a moisturizer or a face cream or a sunscreen. I have tried Triglow too for few days every night and I felt that my skin started turning very slight blue, so I stopped using it. I do apply lots of home remedies now and then like papaya paste, aloe vera gel fresh from the plant every night, brown sugar and honey, yoghurt, etc….all of it shows good results, but the skin turns dark when I apply any cream in the morning after face wash…..kindly advice on what I should use.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Minnal,

The most important thing would be to consult your MD to make sure that you are not suffering from a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

In addition, please be diligent in wearing broad spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 30 at all times.

If there are not deficiencies, you may consult your derm for a regimen that would likely include retinols, a topical vit C agent, and perhaps even hydroquinone.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Minnal replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thanks for the advice Doctor!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.