Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Brown spot (sun damage) changed to blister.
An_249986 posted:
Brown spot (sun damage) roughly the size of a pencil eraser, that I have had for years on left index finger between finger joint and knuckle that over the last week or two has gone from it's regular light brown color to being reddish, to now a slightly raised blister sensitive to warm and hot water that intermittently itches like a healing wound. It remains the same diameter as the original brown spot. Responds well to Neosporin, seems to help heal, but have not regularly applied it. I am a healthy 53 year old female, with a strong immune system. I do have multiple other brown spots (sun damage) on hands and a few on face that have remained the same over many years. It is winter time where we live, so this flare up is not agitated by more sun exposure.

Thank You
Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

When a sun damage spot changes, we must be concerned that it may be evolving into a precancer or skin cancer. Although likely the blistering is from irritation (sun damage spots have thinner and more fragile skin than normal skin). It is still in your best interest to have your doc or dermatologist evaluate it and perhaps even do a small biopsy.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Prevent and Eliminate Bad Body Odor Instantly
ODOR-OFF MIST by NOBEL-DERMA 1-424-288-6913 Odor-Off Mist is a spray mist body deodorizing topical solution that is manufactured by ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.