Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ingrown Hair Frustration
An_250218 posted:
So I've been fighting against ingrown hair for about 6 months maybe a little longer and i have tried a lot of products and nothing seems to work. I've gotten to a point of low self esteem because i don't know what to do anymore. I've changed changed bathing products and non razor bump products and nothing seems to work.. I'm ashamed to ask for help and continuously search for ways i could fix it myself. I posted this to see if anyone had any recommendations or would like to suggest anything. I'm 21 male Latino in search of a solution. I have left a Photobucket link to see what I'm struggling with.

An_250218 responded:
http://s5.beta.photobucket.com/user/hondorican15/media/photo1.jpg.html

WiZKER responded:
So I've been fighting against ingrown hair for about 6 months maybe a little longer and i have tried a lot of products and nothing seems to work. I've gotten to a point of low self esteem because i don't know what to do anymore. I've changed changed bathing products and non razor bump products and nothing seems to work.. I'm ashamed to ask for help and continuously search for ways i could fix it myself. I posted this to see if anyone had any recommendations or would like to suggest anything. I'm 21 male Latino in search of a solution. I have left a Photobucket link to see what I'm struggling with.

Hi,

Ouch! After viewing your pics I'm so sorry to see what you're going through. I too am prone to get razor bumps and ingrown hairs so I feel your pain.

I'm an African-American male and this disease (and yes, this is a disease!) has left me very self-conscous every since last year. Here's the problem:

Razor bumps occur when a newly shorn hairs grows back to re-enter the skin. As it continues to pierce and embed itself into the skin, a bump will appear as a sign of injury.

Ingrown Hairs occur when a newly shorn hairs is cut in a way that the hair grows beneath the skin' surface. As it continues to grow under the skin, a bump will appear as a sign of injury.

If it's not any of these you should see your doctor for help.

If it is RB or IG, here's what has worked for me:

Pre-Heat with a hot towel or hot compress.
Exfoliate beforehand for 1-2 minutes to scrub away dead skin cells and dirt.
Hair grows in different direction, usually downward but double check to be sure as the hair grows in various directions around the face.
Shave with the direction of hair growth with a single or at most double blade razor.
Use a very light pressure being careful never to pass more than 1-2 times.
Exfoliate before bed and in the HOT shower next morning.

Question: What other products/methods have you tried and that have not work thus far?

If you like more info, our facebook page is here to provide you with the most useful advice when it comes to preventing this disease.

http://www.facebook.com/WizkerSkin

Good Luck!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.