Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I AM MISERABLE!!! Skin problems
pocohontas posted:
Back in June of last year I contracted scabies but did not know what it was until I went to 3 doctors the last in August. The dermatologist was the last stop. She treated me with elamite and I used the treatment twice...second time was 7 days after the first. (She never told me to do it a second time but I researched on the CDC web site.)
I went back to see her and she stated I was clear of the mite.
After this treatment I have since had bumps on my (2) buttocks and my genital area that will not go away. When I went AGAIN to see her She stated it was folliculitis and wanted to give me an antibiotic but I refused because I felt she just wanted to get rid of me. She told me to take a bleach bath which I did but only twice. Went to another dermatologist in December for a second opinion and he said it would go away within a year of treatment. I am at my wits end!! These bumps itch sometimes and drive me crazy! I have used the cream the doctor gave me (steroid) on it and they are turning dark...but not going away.
Also, I notice when I itch and scratch I get a rash...doesn't matter where on my body. It happens mostly after I shave my legs and armpits. I put the steroid cream on it and it goes away.
Will I be plagued with these issues the rest of my life? I have no trust in doctors any more. I am almost 51 years old and single and would really like some advice here.
Thank you!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
I would suggest seeing a dermatologist and asking for a small skin biopsy of one of the lesions. That way you will have unequivocal proof of what your skin lesion is. Once you have the 100% diagnosis, you can determine the best course of therapy in conjunction with your dermatologist. There is no reason to be miserable when there is a method to get you the correct diagnosis and treatment.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

pocohontas replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you. I have an appointment with yet ANOTHER dermatologist next week. I will ask for the biopsy! I don't understand why the other doctors I've seen didn't do that but then again...after the first PA missed my diagnosis in the first place nothing surprises me any more.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to pocohontas's response:
I really hope you get your 100% answer Pocohontas! Also, please make sure you see a board certified dermatologist (not the dermatology PA or someone who is NOT board certified).

Please keep us updated! We are rooting for you!
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

pocohontas replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you. Me too! When I did call she made the appointment with a PA and I called back to change it to see the dermatologist.

If there's one thing this whole year has taught me it is to take charge of my own medical care!

BlondeWolfy responded:
I think I have scabies too! They hate hot soapy water and apple cider vinegar! It stings really really bad! But if you get over that the itchy will stop being crazy for a while.I also have bad Eczema so I'm not a reliable source either but I've never had little red bumps before and they keep me up almost all night like tonight! I want them gone! I've never been to a Dermatologist before either.. So I Don't fully trust my own advice lol... It just seems to be that way! Tell us if you have gotten better! ^_^ thanks for telling us of this!

pocohontas replied to BlondeWolfy's response:
This dermatologist did nothing for me. It was confirmed that I no longer have scabies (which I knew already) and he said a biopsy wasn't necessary and that it was folliculitis. Gave me a very expensive cream and antihistamine prescription (which I did not fill), told me to take oatmeal baths every night and sent me on my way. Oh...and I am not to shave my legs or armpits until I go back to him on March 26. Well, I'm not going back to him or ANY doctor any more except for my regular meds. I have had ENOUGH!! I bought Benedryl and creams that have the ingredients in the expensive one he gave me samples of. A pharmacist helped me there.

I tell you, I have lost all faith in doctors. This doctor's office is in a very "nice" area of Fayette County, Georgia. Thought I'd get help but obviously not. The person in the doctor's office who sent my prescriptions in sent them to the wrong place and prescribed only ONE pill!! Can you believe that one????

I will do the oatmeal baths and not shave my legs for awhile and just expect to itch after I shave in the future. Guess I will just hope it goes away and/or I will live with it for the rest of my life.

Blondwolfy, If you have scabies you should get treatment. I shampooed my carpets and cleaned EVERTHING in my house. It's not pleasant at all and it could come back if you don't take care of it. I still have no clue how I got them...but apparently you can get it by sitting where someone who had them has sat. Terrible!!! Good luck...

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.