Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Can I clear up eczema naturally?
An_250308 posted:
I have had vaginal eczema since around the time I went through puberty, and for the past decade I've just been dealing with it. It's uncomfortable; it hurts; but there hasn't been much doctors can do because I'm allergic to lotions and lubricants and refuse to take any actual medication. I prefer more natural medicines.

I'm starting to get into a serious relationship now though and am considering becoming sexually active for the first time. However, the thought of even mentioning it to my boyfriend (or anyone. My mom doesn't even know) is absolutely embarrassing. So I'd rather just learn how to clear it up, avoid inflammations, or anything naturally so I don't scare my boyfriend off by him thinking I have some weird STI and lied about being a virgin.
Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

The first thing that I would advise is to find a board certified dermatologist in your area that has an expertise in patch testing.

Patch testing is a specific type of allergy testing that determines skin allergies and external causes for eczema. There are no needles involved, just little stickers that are placed on your back.

Once you find out what you are specifically allergic to, you can avoid those culprits. That would be the most natural way to actually PREVENT the eczema, rather than just treat it or cover it up.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Cure for Hives--(had hives over ENTIRE BODY for over a year)
Do you have pink, raised areas anywhere on your body that itch (and I mean anywhere)? Do you eat a lot of low-fat or diet foods or use ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.