Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Please help with possible angular cheilitis! PIC included
Justin425 posted:
I could use some help with this. This is a recurring problem. My dermatologist says its common and gave me Desonide 0.05%. I've been using it for a few days and it doesnt seem to be making any difference. Any idea how to get rid if this growing red section on the corner of my lip?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Justin,

You can start with an over the counter anti-fungal cream such as clotrimazole, mixed with 1% hydrocortisone cream. This will treat the yeast and the secondary inflammatory response.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Justin425 responded:
Thanks. I'll try that.

ANy idea what causes this? It seems to happen randomly.

EdithIkerNagyonFacebook replied to Justin425's response:
Hi, if it does not help try nerium ad lotion. It may fix it in a short time. Look me up on facebook under Edith (Iker) Nagy and see some result pictures.

Justin425 responded:
I still have this and now it is much worse. It's larger and on both corners of my mouth. It is NOT itchy. It's just some redness which I don't feel anything from. Not sore either.

I tried the suggestion from the doctor and didn't notice any relief. I think this is something else.

Please help!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to Justin425's response:
It does look like angular chelitis. Try this for 7- 10 days and if it does not work, I would see your dermatologist:

-purchase over-the-counter clotrimazole cream and mix with 1% hydrocortisone cream and apply to areas in the am and also before bed

-buy a tube of aquaphor or vaseline and apply before and after eating/ drinking

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen

Justin425 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Ok I'm doing what you said. No noticeable improvement yet but I'm trying to keep the faith. Today is day 2. Also I'm not sure if it matters but I have a small trouble area of eczema on my stomach but its gone right now an I use clobetasol on it when needed. Unsure if related.

I did just have my wisdom teeth removed and they had my mouth open wide for 45min which dried out and cracked my lips. Might have made this worse. I don't know.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to Justin425's response:
Dear Justin, give it at least 1 week. If not improved, you may need a bacterial or fungal culture or potentially patch testing. Please keep us posted
Dr. Mohiba Tareen

ErinMartinis2012 replied to Justin425's response:
Hi Justin, I am suffering from this as well.. I was not sure what it was for a long time. I learned from my Dr. that I was iron deficient as well as B vitamin deficient. I started taking those supplements. I also started treating the place on the side of my mouth with triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin). I know different things work for different people. It is alot better, but not completely healed. I know it is so annoying and mine had gotten so bad, I did not want to leave the house. I treat the site with the ointment 3-5 times daily and always before I go to bed so it can work overnight. Hope this helps!

Justin425 replied to ErinMartinis2012's response:
Thanks for the reply.

After a few days, I noticed that I guess what the doc recommended is working. Its not noticeable like it was. I have to really examine to see it. There is still some slight pinkish and i wouldn't be surprised if it was a vitamin issue. My diet is crap. I occasionally take a daily vitamin but half the time I forget to take it. thanks for the input. Maybe I'll pick up some supplements like you said.

Good luck with it. This sucks.

Justin425 replied to Justin425's response:
Ok I can now testify that this did work and its gone.

For how long, I don't know. Should I keep taking the mix everyday? I still do, at night before bed.

Please let me know!

Erin, you're cute! I need to take a normal pic of me. lol good luck w/yours!

jeannine33 responded:
I have the exact same problem !!! I'm not sure if it's angular chelitis though but it's just red and rather unsightly !!! I've tried neosporin Vaseline and am taking so many vitamins and eating super healthy . There are no cuts and it's not even really dry. I want to upload a picture so I could get some advice . It's only on one side of my mouth

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.