Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Boils on the neck help!
An_250570 posted:
So i have had a reoccurring boil on my skin for a year or 2..it comes and goes but causes one side of my neck to swell. Recently, because of the free medication offered i was put on Cephalexin (Keflex) 500MG 4 times a day. I wonder is there something else i can do to prevent it from returning besides taking medication?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

A recurrent boil in the same area may actually represent a cyst. The cyst may need definitive removal. I would consult your primary doc. In the meantime, anti-bacterial washes such an benzoyl peroxide can help prevent the lesion from becoming infected.
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

TM006 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you,

So i assume that means if it explodes and smells bad its infected so see a doc asap.

OK ill look into the primary doc thank you

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.