Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Wondering if anyone can help me out with this
LWilder21 posted:
So this summer I noticed a small, dry, slightly redish patch on my upper arm. Over a period of months several more have developed and they're now on both my arms - all on the upper portion. There are 7 of these small patches. I have a family history of eczema and I was wondering if this is what this is.

Here is a picture:
http://i47.tinypic.com/n1wi6t.jpg

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear LWilder,

Given that the spots are spreading and have been there for 7 months, it would be a good idea to have your primary doc or your dermatologist check them. I apologize, the photo led me to a different site and I was not able to open it. However, I have had some unfortunate patients who thought they had eczema or psoriasis and actually had precancerous/ skin cancer lesions. I urge you to get them checked please and keep us posted. In the interim, if you are suspecting eczema, you can try 1% hydrocortisone cream or ointment.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.