Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Wondering if anyone can help me out with this
LWilder21 posted:
So this summer I noticed a small, dry, slightly redish patch on my upper arm. Over a period of months several more have developed and they're now on both my arms - all on the upper portion. There are 7 of these small patches. I have a family history of eczema and I was wondering if this is what this is.

Here is a picture:
http://i47.tinypic.com/n1wi6t.jpg

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear LWilder,

Given that the spots are spreading and have been there for 7 months, it would be a good idea to have your primary doc or your dermatologist check them. I apologize, the photo led me to a different site and I was not able to open it. However, I have had some unfortunate patients who thought they had eczema or psoriasis and actually had precancerous/ skin cancer lesions. I urge you to get them checked please and keep us posted. In the interim, if you are suspecting eczema, you can try 1% hydrocortisone cream or ointment.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful