Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help! Rash on arms/legs with severe itching, no relief
sarah482 posted:
About a week ago, my lower legs started itching. Figuring that I just had really dry skin, I started moisturizing a lot. About a day later, while at work, I noticed a patch of bumps on my right forearm, and those itched too. I tried some topical diphenhydramine cream on my arm, but it didn't really work. By the next day, I had the bumps all over both arms and on both lower legs. The bumps on my legs are literally from my ankle to the knee, and on my arms from the wrists to the shoulder. I have tried hydrocortisone cream, calamine lotion, various different OTC lotions including Eucerin, Gold Bond medicated, CeraVe, Aveeno, and Neosporin Eczema. I also take Zyrtec daily (10mg) and Vistaril PRN because I have a history of hives (unknown origin there as well).

Finally on Thursday I went to the doctor. The itching is totally unbearable, unlike anything I've EVER experienced. The rash definitely looks like the hair follicle is involved, so my doctor diagnosed it as some type of folliculitis with a dermatitis. Per her orders, I've been doing Aveeno baths/compresses, using a topical antibiotic (Clindamycin), and using a prescription moisturizer (Ammonium Lactate 12%). NONE of these things are working. It's now Sunday morning and I am even more miserable than I was at the doctor's office on Thursday. I can't sleep because all I do is itch! I've tried so hard not to scratch, but it's so hard not to.

Of course it's a weekend and my doctor's office is closed, so I have to wait until Monday morning to get a call into my doc again. She mentioned doing a round of steriods, but didn't sound real keen on the idea. At this point, I will do whatever I have to to get rid of this itching.

BTW, the rash itself reminds me of goosebumps. I just have tiny bumps all over my arms and legs, almost like "chicken skin".

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.