Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
red bump on lip
kfadmar posted:
I have a red bump on my upper lip. I asked a doctor about it (I'm pregnant) and he said it looked like a reaction to too much lip balm. However, it's really not going away. It's kind of in a bad spot and I tend to break it open now and then. It bleeds like CRAZY and I can't always seem to get it to stop for a few minutes unlessI apply good pressure by basically squeezing my lip. Not much of any other fluid seems to come out other than blood. I've been putting campo-phenique (spelling) on it and it appeared to help but I've only been using that a day now.

It kind of started as like an irritation or blister. Then it broke open and bled, and since then hasn't really scabbed over or anything. I don't see a whitehead or anything on it and I've not gotten any fluid out of it other than blood. It's very irritating and I'm getting pretty self consious about it.

I'm hoping it may scab over soon but since it's on my lip I'm not sure that it will. It tends to get bigger when I eat - seems like the more I move my mouth the more it'll get irritated and swell up. Then it goes back down but it's still there.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Kfadmar,

It sounds like it may be a lesion called a pyogenic granuloma- they are very common when pregnant and can also commonly occur on near or on the lips.

A board certified dermatologist would be able to best help you take care of the lesion in a safe manner.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.