Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Fungal Infection
MountainMist posted:
I have had a fungal infection on my hands for over 2 years now. My doctor prescribed 2 tubes of ointment for it, saying one should be enough, the second was just in case. I used both tubes as directed and it didn't get rid of the infection. Right now I am keeping it at bay with a mixture of tea tree oil and almond oil. It helps to keep it from spreading and getting extremely red, painful, and from peeling, but I can't get rid of the infection. I have also you used pretty much every over the counter anti-fungal treatment there is. It just won't go away. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! What do I do???

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
A fungal infection should typically not persist so long. I would suggest that your doc does a biopsy or fungal culture to determine that it is indeed a fungal infection. Occasionally, very deep fungal infections may require oral treatment.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

MountainMist replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
They scraped Off Some Of The Skin Cells And Checked Them Under A Microscope And Confirmed That It Is Indeed A Fungal Infection. Besides The Two Tubes Of Ointment They Prescribed An Oral Medication As Well. The Oral Meds Got Rid Of The Fungu On My Nail, But Didn't Have Any Effect On The Skin Infection.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to MountainMist's response:
Do you think you could have a fungal infection of the nail, but a different condition of the skin? Oral anti-fungals are actually MORE quickly effective on skin infections than nail infections (nails take longer to respond).
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.