Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dishydrotic Eczema treatments?
An_251386 posted:
My 13 year old son was diagnosed with dishydrotic eczema about a year ago. Since diagnosis, we've constantly been watching his hands and feet - using Clobetasol when he starts to get an outbreak, mupirocin, when his outbreak leads to deep cuts that may be prone to infection. My question is - are there any alternative therapies that have worked for you? He went through a contact allergy test and is only allergic to one thing (benzylkonium chloride) - no nickel allergies. Another question is - what seems to trigger outbreaks?

He's very athletic and always participating in sports so we are constantly changing socks and drying out shoes to keep his feet dry. We use CeraVe lotion with Salicylic Acid on a daily basis.

We are currently trying coconut oil as a moisturizer, but too soon to know if it will help. We tried an apple cider vinegar bath for his feet, but that was excruciating due to the cuts from the blisters.

I hate using such a strong steroid cream, but it's been the only thing to slow down the blister formation. Before he was diagnosed, we were treating with a low steroid cream (doctor prescribed) and he developed a secondary infection in both feet where he was bed-ridden for 3 days.

I know there's no cure, but would sure love some advice on controlling the outbreaks. He takes it in stride, but I know it affects him emotionally

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.