Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ITCHING AT NIGHT
An_251693 posted:
After reading some of these comments I just wanted to offer a little insight from my own experiences.
First of all, people shouldn't be self medicating with drugs like cortisone and antihistimines.........these drugs have potentially harmful side effects and can cause more problems then they cure!
From my own experience, my physician placed me on Zyrtec for allergies. After using it for several days I began to notice I itched a lot especially if I missed a dose. After using the medication for about 6 months and no noticeable change in my allergy situation my doctor advised I just stop taking it. WOW!! What he didn't adise was the fact one of the side effects from withdrawl is serious itching which can last for weeks even longer! I almost went insane with the itching, it was that bad.......weeks and weeks worth!
I am very cautious about taking prescriptions these days as many doctors are financially rewarded by big pharmaceuticals to prescribe drugs for profits!! It's pretty obvious these days with all the lawsuits what's going on!! I have had a few close calls myself and it was pretty scary, one event landing me in the cardiac intensive care unit!! The medication slowed my heart to a dangerous level!
Self medication is NEVER a good idea nor going online and taking the advice from someone you know nothing about......it's bad enough with your doctor!!

An_252758 responded:
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I also have been taking Zyrtec for the past two months for skin rash and now I have chronic hives /urticaria. I can't stop taking it because of the intense itching at night. My doctor told me it is safe to take it every night. I am afraid to stop it because of the withdrawal symptoms. Please advise!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.