Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Skin concern
An_251925 posted:
About 2 weeks ago I felt a lump on the lower half of my back almost in the center of my spine. I think that I was scratching my back when I found it. At first, I wasn't that concerned because moles in general run in my family and a I have many on my back, most of them are not harmful. I do go in to my dermatologist once a year to have them checked. But, as the weeks have gone on, it is looking a lot like a boil, and the edges are red. It isn't painful, maybe very slight discomfort but it itches if I touch it and it is about the size of a pea. It hasn't grown to my knowledge since I first discovered it, but my husband is concerned because it itches and is red. Does anyone have an ides what this could be?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

The lesion could be a cyst, an inflamed mole, or numerous other lesions. Given the symptoms and redness, I would suggest showing it to your primary doc or dermatologist in order to insure that it is not a skin cancer.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.