Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Itching skin from inside!,
An_251930 posted:
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Dec. 2011. I had my breast removed, reconstruction, chemo and herceptin teatment. I am now a cancer survivor. In August of 2012, I starting itching. At first I thought it was from my water. I went to my dermotoligist and talked with my cancer doctor. I was put on steriods, allergymedicine,doexpin.The itching is from the inside. when this happens, I have to use ice to calm my itching down. At night, I get up to go to the bathroom, when I get back bed, the itching start. I believe it has someting to do with nerves damage inside after my treatment. Please help.....it is driving me crazy.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

My first suggestion would be to ask your derm to do a skin biopsy to see where the problem lies and to see if the nerves of the deeper skin are either inflamed or damaged.

There are many effective medications for itching due to nerve dysfunction, however, I would definitely suggest a biopsy first.

I hope that helps and please keep up updated
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

prettylegs6 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you so very much for the information. I will be calling my dermatologist this afternoon. I will keep you informed.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.