Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Mysterious bumps appearing on and off for months (with pics)
aftertheteacups posted:
I have been having these red bumps appear on my skin for months. They appear in groups and sometimes just a bump on its own (Like in the picture). If it is a group, it will often be in a row, and in this pattern:

Bump (two inches of space) Bump (one inch of space) bump.
They occur every couple of weeks, although I did have several months in between outbreaks recently. They are slightly itchy & slightly sore. Usually, they range between a half an inch to two inches in size. They have no entry point like a bite. When they fade they turn to bruises. They have occurred on my breasts, neck, shoulders, lower legs, stomach, back.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
These lesions could be nummular eczema, guttate psoriasis or a host of other skin disorders. Given the fact that they fade to bruises, less common conditions like erythema nodosum must be considered. I would get in with a derm for a skin biopsy so that you can have a 100% answer.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

aftertheteacups replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you, Doctor. I went to a derm but at that time they had just faded to bruises and he was very rude haha. It made me feel embarrassed about seeking help, but I will go again the next time they appear. My family doctor thought they could be Erythema Nodosum, but she wasn't sure which is how I got referred to the derm. Is there any condition that is similar to Erythema Nodosum but occurs on other areas of the body and isnt horribly painful, more just annoying?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.