Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Skin rash
61female posted:
I have been having a rash when going out in sunlight, with in seconds of exposer. Have researched the internet and think it's either Solar UUrticaria or Drug Photosensitivity. It's severe itching and burning with total skin red where exposed. It last 20 minutes and goes away. I might have a couple more attack them I good to go out in the sun. Happens every time I haven't had skin exposed to the sun for a few days. Doctor doesn't seem concerned, but it is unbearable when it happens. Does anyone else have this problem and what do they do?
I have went off medicine, and can't really tell if that is causing my problem. Please reply
Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Photosensitivity disorders are very common at the beginning of summer. The most important thing is to ask your doc for an ANA- a blood test for lupus/ other auto-immune disorders. Most of the time, these sun rashes are NOT lupus, however, it is very important to have this checked.

In the interim, you may want to try an over-the-counter anti-histamine such as claritin, zyrtec, or allegra 30 minutes before you go outside, with a good physical blocker sunscreen.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
61female replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you very much for your response. My doctor has ordered the blood work. Thank God it came back negative. He gave me same answer, but the anti-histamine don't seem to work. The sun screen helps, but sometimes, if I have on white clothes I break out underneath clothes. It don't always happen, so sometimes I'm not prepared. Thanks again for your reply.
Will I out grow this or will it get worse? Does anyone else have the same problem?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.