Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Itchy skin no rash
An_252128 posted:
About two weeks ago my roommate and I found a rat in my room. I had been hearing what I thought were mice in our walls and vents for 2-3 months before this, but was told I was imagining things so I ignored it. The rat had eaten some kind of poison, found its way from a hole in the wall in our kitchen through our living room and into my room. It was dying and therefore easily removed. Our apartment complex had our carpets cleaned five days after we found the rat. Neither my roommate nor I stayed at our apartment for the next week but we have both slept here for the last four to three nights. We are both feeling itchy now. I had trouble falling asleep last night because I couldnt stop itching. Because I have no rash or bite marks I thought it could be in my head, but after my hearing my roommate mention the same symptoms I am very concerned it's not just me being squeamish. I have washed most of my clothing and bedding, but have slept on and worn things that have not been washed since the "incident". The longer I am inside my apartment the more itchy I feel, but when I'm away I don't notice it. I am a teacher and have not noticed any itchyness at work due to the busyness of my job, but when I sit in my car, or "relax", I start feeling it again. My thoughts are it could be an allergic reaction to the carpet cleaning, we have fleas or other parasites from the rat, or something else I dont know about. What is happening to us and what should we do?

skr1000 replied to delbertzipp's response:
thanks for responding! I ended up seeing someone and was basically told it could have been an allergy but was most likely in my head. I took Claritin and either the placebo effect or the actual medicine helped.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Got Eczema or Roseaca? caring help is on the way-.... heres a tip for you!
LIMU (Gentle seaweed cleanser) for men and Women and safe for kids too! remove eye makeup and shave with this popular daily cleanser from ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.