Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Sensitive skin rash due to heat/humidity...
    SaraMiko posted:
    I have sensitive skin, and the past few years I've noticed when the weather gets hot and humid where I live my skin gets really itchy and red. Not everywhere, just in certain spots. Right now, it's on my legs and in front and behind of my knees. I've been to a dermatologist, but she hasn't been able to help my situation. I was thinking of making another appointment very soon to address my skin issues. In cooler weather my skin heals, but when the weather is hot and humid, it gets really bad - itchy, red, sore from where I try not to scratch (and fail). I take Benadryl at night, but that doesn't seem to help much. My mother has similar problems, and usually she'll go to get a cortizone shot, does anyone have any ideas that could help before I get to the dermatologist?
    Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
    Dear Sara,

    I would suggest using a cooling lotion with camphor and menthol such as Sarna Sensitive skin cream (or its generic equivalent). These soothing ingredients may at least give you some temporarily relief before you go to your derm. You may want to ask your dermatologist about a procedure called "patch testing." This may help to elucidate if the reaction is due to contact dermatitis.

    I hope that helps Please keep us posted.
    Dr. Mohiba Tareen
    Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
    Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
    Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
    SaraMiko replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
    I've already been to the derm and had patch testing. Nothing I found out I'm allergic to is associated with this. She said it's dermatitis/ezcema, but she couldn't find anything that causes this rash, even though I told her of my mother's history and mine, especially with this weather - that's the only time it really flares up. She basically told me she'd have to refer me to a specialist to find out more, but I'm debating on that. Right now, it's covering my lower right leg and around both knees, and on the top of my right foot. I try to put Vaseline on it to keep it moist (it seems to dry out, which causes more itching).

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Treatment for StingsExpert
    Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 7 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.