Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

pink, rough, raised skin area in an unexpected location
jena_texana posted:
I had a dark tan spot on my upper left pubic area, above my pubic hair that I originally thought was a small bruise. Today, though, it seems to have morphed into a pink, raised area of rough skin. It is not near any folds of skin, but instead is on a flat, open area.

The area is about half an inch wide by a quarter inch high. It isn't painful or itchy, but I scratched it to see what the surface was like, and part of it flaked off (it was white), leaving me bleeding slightly. Again, though, even this wasn't painful. It doesn't appear at all to have the skin pattern of warts (neither in the way the patch looks, nor the flakes of skin that I scratched off.) In a search online, it looks most like psoriasis, but it has no silvery-ness, and it is not really inflamed. (It is light pink, with no deeper redness around or on it.) Also, it came on quite suddenly, and this is the first time it has ever happened.

I just noticed the bruise a few days ago (maybe four or five), and noticed the rough skin this morning. By the way, I don't use any scented soaps that could be irritating my skin, and I shower only once a day or once every two days. Needless to say, the area doesn't get a lot (or even really any) sun exposure.

(I don't think it can be an STD, as I have been in a monogamous relationship for almost four years with a man who was virginal before I met him. And yes, I am quite sure my boyfriend is faithful, as am I.)

Thanks in advance for any advice on what this might be, and/or where to look for further information.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.