Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Dx of Polymorphous Light Eruption - need advice!
An_252720 posted:
I was diagnosed with PMLE last fall after suffering from it for 15 years and being told it was eczema. I have spent those years trying to stay out of the sun as much as possible and trying every sunscreen under the sun with very little success. This has had a huge impact on my quality of life! This spring I started UVB light therapy treatment with high hopes but it hasn't helped so far. I just keep getting burned/inflamed rashes everytime they try to increase the light/time. So far I am at 22 millijoules or about 15 seconds. Only my hands/forearms tend to burn in the booth, but my chest, lower legs, tops of my feet, and back of my neck all burn/react in the sun in very little time (approx. 15 min). Sunscreen never does enough. Covering up entirely is difficult because I am also in cancer-treatment-induced menopause and suffer from crazy hot flashes (I can't do any hrt because my breast cancers were hormone positive). I just don't know what to do. The rashes are beyond uncomfortable and last for a couple weeks at a time. I use betamethazone cream to treat them, but I try to avoid this because steroids thin the skin over time. This is depressing! My dermatologist has so far been largely unhelpful. He just put me on 200mg/day of plaquenil, but I seem to be reacting to that as well. I would love to hear any advice or even just other people's stories about pmle. Right now I feel pretty isolated.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Got Eczema or Roseaca? caring help is on the way-.... heres a tip for you!
LIMU (Gentle seaweed cleanser) for men and Women and safe for kids too! remove eye makeup and shave with this popular daily cleanser from ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.