Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Cellulitis of right ear and swollen antitragus
jszaradowski posted:
I recently had cellulitis of my right ear again. the last time I had it was march 2013. Both times I went to Walgreen's and doc said I had cellulitis of the ear(Skin infection). Both times was on cephalexin 250mg for 10 days. I went to doc July 24, and my anitragus still has a sore on it that keeps scabbing up and I always want to pick it off, and when I do it bleeds a little. is this a good thing?

How can I fix this, and how can I keep my right ear from getting cellulitis again?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
A few things could be going on:
1. You may have a pathogen causing your cellulitis that is not treated with cephalexin. Given the repeated episodes, you should have a bacterial culture.

2. You may no longer have cellulits. You may have an inflammatory condition of the skin such as psoriasis.

Have you been evaluated by a dermatologist?
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

jszaradowski replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
no have not seen a dermatologist. March 2013, July 2013 January 2014, may 2014, had a red ear canal, open wound on antitragus that continually scabbed up and I picked it. I now have it again since July 14. First three times diagnosed as cellulitis of ear and given cephalexin suspension 250mg for 10 days. may 2014 diagnosed as otitis externa and only given neomycin-Polymyxin B sulfates-hydrocortisone ear drops. thius time haven't done anything. should I do something? What if I do nothing. how can I prevent this. can I be getting this from using earbuds daily at gym?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.