Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Penile erythema/dermatitis?
    TenBenny posted:
    I've been suffering from some sort of penile rash or dermatitis for a while. I went to my general doctor, and he gave me Xerese and suggested that barring success with that, I could also use something called Hibiclens or hydrocortisone cream. Neither the Xerese or the hydrocortisone knocked it out completely. I thought it might have been balanitis, but a urologist I just saw didn't think that was the case. He said maybe it was some kind of erythema or papillae issue.

    Basically, the shaft skin just under the head is red on the sides and a tiny bit blotchy on the head, and that shaft skin area by the head looks and feels like it might be a bit thinned. It generally stays a bit red and tough in appearance and texture. Masturbation makes the skin red and a bit scaly, and it lingers for a little while. I'm not sure exactly how to clean the area in the shower, since I've read that the chemicals in soap aren't helpful, but for the time being, I'm using a soap that seems like it might be less problematic.

    I'm thinking a dermatologist is the person to see now. I'm not sure what he or she would have me do or prescribe, but until that point, I welcome any thoughts.

    Thanks very much in advance for your help.
    Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
    Dear TenBenny,

    My husband is a urologist and he and the partners in his urology group often see patients with penile skin irritation. To say it delicately- and the urologists in my husband's group would agree- the urologists are not trained to look at skin issues. They try different treatments and then send the patients to me and typically with the trained eye of a dermatologist, we are able to diagnose eczema, psoriasis, lichen planus, or a whole host of other disorders and help the patient.

    Skip the urologist and make an appointment with a dermatologist in your area.

    I hope that helps
    Dr. Mohiba Tareen
    Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
    Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
    Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
    TenBenny replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
    Indeed it does help. I initially figured I should have gone that way, but some people online had mentioned urologists in case there was a UTI involved.

    Thanks very much! I appreciate it.

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Cure/Help for Perioral Dermatitis
    I have had Perioral Dermatitis since Feb 13, 2014. For four months I have been going crazy trying to manage it and make it go away. I've ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.