Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Itchy Clusters of Water Blisters on Palms and Between Fingers
An_253566 posted:
I've been getting the itchiest clusters of tiny water bubbles deep under my skin on my palms and between my fingers. Sometimes they form on my knuckles too. They itch so bad and no cream brings relief. I just have to wait for them to heal. Each cluster takes at least a week to heal and during the healing process they resemble calluses only.. they itch! Scratching seems to bring the only relief and sometimes they are close enough to the surface of the skin that I can easily squeeze the water out of them.

I've noticed these for years and I'm curious if anybody else is experiencing anything like this and if you do, what do you do about it? I've tried hand creams for Emphysema and Psoriasis, but neither make a bit of difference. I'm not sure if it's due to retaining water or having too much salt in my diet, but I do eat pretty healthy and I do exercise. They only form on my palms and fingers. Sigh.
Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

This sounds like a condition known as dyshidrotic eczema. It is relatively common and INCREDIBLY itchy! This type of eczema may be exacerbated by things you are in contact with, so you may need patch testing for skin allergies. In the interim, you should see your primary doc or a dermatologist for a high potency steroid topical to help w the inflammation.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.