Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Shingle
healing08 posted:
Recently, on my visit to PCP, I've been diagnosed with shingles. They are on my back on the left side below the shoulder blade. They are now spread to my left breast.

My doctor has prescribed the following meds:

1. Prednisone 10mg -- 2 times a day for 5 days; then one table a day for 10 days.

2. Gabapentin Cap 300mg -- 1 capsule twice a day

3. Hydroco/APaP -- 5/325 -- 1 tablet every 4-6 hours as needed for pain

4. Acyclovir Tab 800mg -- 1 tablet 3 times a day

I noticed today, the blisters are spreading to my left breast more; now i have a total of 5 red spots, but they are not blisters, but my breast is tender to the touch. Is this normal? Can this turn into anything else, like cancer? What causes the red spots to spread? Are there any foods or liquids I need to avoid? My doctor gave me note to return to work on Monday, October 21, 2013 (I was in my doctor's office Thursday, October 17 and he instructed me to go home and not go to work).

When am I not contagious to go back to work? Is Monday, October 21 too soon?

Your response to my concerns and questions are vitally important. Please provide responses/answers as quickly as possible.

more2c responded:
hi. I'm sorry, I can't answer your questions but just had some comments/questions. I had shingles years ago and fortunately caught them early. I didn't know they were contagious. Lately I've wondered if you can get them more than once, does anyone know? It sounds like you have a bad case of them, it must be painful to work or do anything, really. I hope you find the answers to your questions.
Carolsue.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to more2c's response:
It is possible to have shingles a second time. If you are experiencing several bouts of shingles though, it is important to bring up the idea of the shingles vaccine with your primary doctor.

Shingles is so painful- I sincerely hope you get better soon
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.