Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Shingle
    healing08 posted:
    Recently, on my visit to PCP, I've been diagnosed with shingles. They are on my back on the left side below the shoulder blade. They are now spread to my left breast.

My doctor has prescribed the following meds:

1. Prednisone 10mg -- 2 times a day for 5 days; then one table a day for 10 days.

2. Gabapentin Cap 300mg -- 1 capsule twice a day

3. Hydroco/APaP -- 5/325 -- 1 tablet every 4-6 hours as needed for pain

4. Acyclovir Tab 800mg -- 1 tablet 3 times a day

I noticed today, the blisters are spreading to my left breast more; now i have a total of 5 red spots, but they are not blisters, but my breast is tender to the touch. Is this normal? Can this turn into anything else, like cancer? What causes the red spots to spread? Are there any foods or liquids I need to avoid? My doctor gave me note to return to work on Monday, October 21, 2013 (I was in my doctor's office Thursday, October 17 and he instructed me to go home and not go to work).

When am I not contagious to go back to work? Is Monday, October 21 too soon?

Your response to my concerns and questions are vitally important. Please provide responses/answers as quickly as possible.

more2c responded:
    hi. I'm sorry, I can't answer your questions but just had some comments/questions. I had shingles years ago and fortunately caught them early. I didn't know they were contagious. Lately I've wondered if you can get them more than once, does anyone know? It sounds like you have a bad case of them, it must be painful to work or do anything, really. I hope you find the answers to your questions.
    Carolsue.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to more2c's response:
    It is possible to have shingles a second time. If you are experiencing several bouts of shingles though, it is important to bring up the idea of the shingles vaccine with your primary doctor.

Shingles is so painful- I sincerely hope you get better soon
    Dr. Mohiba Tareen
    Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
    Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
    Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
    www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Cure/Help for Perioral Dermatitis
    I have had Perioral Dermatitis since Feb 13, 2014. For four months I have been going crazy trying to manage it and make it go away. I've ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.