Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Zitty Skin
    stlpm636 posted:
    I am having an issue with zitty skin. I am 49 years old. I never had big issues with acne as a teeneager. I have a history of traditional "zits" as an adult, but never anything serious. Recently, I have developed small pimply zits. Not a lot of them, a few here and there. I currently have three or four on my face ... jaw line area and lower cheek ... some on my shoulders and chest. They are not clustered in any way .... just individual zitties. They get scratched, become scabby and take a long time healing. They don't get worse ... i.e. they don't get larger ... but when they get scabby they do bleed if they get scratched. I try not to scratch them, but am not always successful. My key concerns are why the zits are appearing in the first place and why they are taking so long to heal. Help?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
    Hormonal changes/ stress as well as irritation/ allergy from products are the main cause of new onset acne in adults. Begin with an OTC benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid wash and good oil free moisturizer- hopefully that simple change will help
    Dr. Mohiba Tareen
    Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
    Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
    Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
    www.TareenDermatology.com

chuckmon replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
    Hi Dr.,
    We have a 50 yr old fm who is experiancing what looks like chicken pox, severe itching bumps/sores started on arms, moved to legs, now on abdomen and back, skin appears brittle, dermatologist has not been able to help, various antibiotics, steroids and cremes have not been any help, nor a reliable diagnosis forthcoming. resembles shingles, but isnt one-side located only, was arms, then legs as mentioned above. any ideas?thank you so much for your time.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to chuckmon's response:
    Given that you have tried everything - I must ask- has your dermatologist done biopsies of the skin lesions. There are numerous vesicular (blister-like) conditions that resemble shingles but are rare and need a biopsy for confirmation.

Please keep me posted I hope my prior answer to your post was helpful.
    Dr. Mohiba Tareen
    Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
    Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
    Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
    www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Cure/Help for Perioral Dermatitis
    I have had Perioral Dermatitis since Feb 13, 2014. For four months I have been going crazy trying to manage it and make it go away. I've ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.