Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Big Red Welts when I scratch
Ritterbandt95 posted:
I have never itched this bad until after i had my appendicitis surgery about a few years or so ago. I've been to the docs in the past about this but they just tell me that all that itching after that kind I surgery is just not possible. I have the exact same symptoms that all of you are naming. I hate itching, it begins to become embarrassing when you have red welts all over your skin in public and you can't seem to do anything to stop it. I don't know what to do, an with me it's not stress. I've been stressed many of times but I have never itched this bad during those times. I don't have money to go to a doctor to find out what this is and how to treat it...does anybody have any suggestions on how to stop the itching? Benadryl pills and cream no longer work for me anymore, I can use them but it does nothing. I itch on and off at the most random of times!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Chronic urticaria (defined as hives persisting longer than 6 weeks) can be a frustrating problem. Given the duration and intensity of your itching, you should consult an allergist for a panel of bloodwork to determine the etiology as well as prescription treatment.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.