Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dry and cracked thumbs, index fingers, & middle fingers
tom8and8christy posted:
The edge of my thumbs, index fingers, and middle fingers are dry, chapped, and crack open. It is a bit painful. I have tried all kinds of lotions and ointments (some are prescription). I fear it is a reaction to my arthritis medication (Mobic), or blood pressure medication (Zestril), but I really can't do without either one of them. This began when my Dr. started me on a 2nd NSAID topical medication (Voltaren Gel). I quit the topical med. six months ago, but my hands haven't cleared up. What can I do?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
A short course of a topical steroid ointment or cream can help quell the inflammation and lead to improvement of the cracks. Ask you rheumatologist for an rx or a referral to a dermatologist. There is no need to live w pain in your hands!
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

tom8and8christy replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thanks. I'll ask my Dr. for it. I have tried some prescription ointments for it, but I don't believe they were steroid ointments.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.