Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dyshidrotic Eczema and other skin problems
b_messy posted:
My doctor diagnosed me with Dyshidrotic Eczema back in the beginning of October. It started out with clusters of blisters on my hands that would turn into red annoying bumps then eventually into dry patches (that itched so very badly). Along with that I was dealing with EXTREMELY itchy skin over my entire body. With the cream my doctor prescribed me I was able to get rid of my DE breakout on my hands however the body itching has continued. The doctor said it was probably psychosomatic but it's been two months and I itch everywhere, off and on all day, and particularly bad at night. I have scratched myself so hard that I've bruised myself and broken skin. I have sores and scars all over now from where I have itched too hard. I have been trying regular lotion, anti-itch lotion, moisturizing shower gels but nothing has provided anything more than temporary relief (less than a few minutes).

I know that DE is found on the hands and the feet and I have had no other kind of blisters on my body, just on my hands. However, this seemed to be a common problem with other forms of eczema as I have found when searching the internet (my favorite other possible causes were: food allergies (haven't changed anything in my diet), menopause (I'm 22), and cancer (the cause of pretty much any medical issue according to the net)) So I was wondering, is it possible to have more than one type of eczema? Does my issue sound like that is what it could be? Or could it be some of the other possibilities I read about? Can you randomly start having a food allergy?

Also, I have NOT used any kinds of new soap, shampoo, detergent, or anything like that so I know that isn't the cause. I already went over that with the doctor.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've been so incredibly uncomfortable for the past two months. I can't keep living like this without doing something.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dyshidrotic eczema can be flared by allergic, irritant, medications, stress and other reactions. Talk to your dermatologist about the need for patch testing as this may be very useful to determine if you do have contact allergies. DE can worsen with stress (as can many skin conditions) so remember to limit your stress to help w the condition as well.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.