Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Scar interferring hand usage
    An_254766 posted:
    My little brother got his palm hand burned when he was 1 year old. The burn became complicated and infected. Nonetheless it healed after a long time of 1.5 months. Now that he is 1.5 years old, a scar has remained on his palm such a way that two sides of the palm skin is attached together forming a hole in the center of the palm. He is not easy using the affected hand so he avoids using it. As a consequence, the hand has gotten small and thin.
    Some doctors said it needs a surgery now, some said at a later time when he gets old enough to go under anesthesia, and some said it just needs some kind of topical ointment and exercise.
    As we are living in a country without excellent medicine (Afghanistan), we could not do any of them. What is your advice?

    Take the Poll

    What should we do? Do you know of any non-invasive medication to help him?
    • doing massage
    • doing surgery now
    • doing surgery at a later time
    • any ointment to promote healing
    View Poll Results
    An_254853 responded:
    There is a steroid injection that can greatly diminish and flatten a raised scar by breaking down the scar tissue from the inside. Im not sure it would cure your problem but it may help and its very non-invasive and painless. It is called triamcinolone acetonide. In United States the market name for it is "Kenalog". If you can get a Dr. to write a prescription,if that is required in your country, you can order it online and do the injection yourself. It takes only a very small amount, about .1 ml per cm of the scar's area. After the injection it can take a few weeks to see the result. At that time you can do another injection of necessary.

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Tea Tree Oil helps
    I got have a keloid scar from the chickenpox on my chest. I 've had this scar for 26 years and have tried many things from silcone sheets ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.