Skip to content
Scar interferring hand usage
An_254766 posted:
My little brother got his palm hand burned when he was 1 year old. The burn became complicated and infected. Nonetheless it healed after a long time of 1.5 months. Now that he is 1.5 years old, a scar has remained on his palm such a way that two sides of the palm skin is attached together forming a hole in the center of the palm. He is not easy using the affected hand so he avoids using it. As a consequence, the hand has gotten small and thin.
Some doctors said it needs a surgery now, some said at a later time when he gets old enough to go under anesthesia, and some said it just needs some kind of topical ointment and exercise.
As we are living in a country without excellent medicine (Afghanistan), we could not do any of them. What is your advice?

Take the Poll

What should we do? Do you know of any non-invasive medication to help him?
  • doing massage
  • doing surgery now
  • doing surgery at a later time
  • any ointment to promote healing
vote
View Poll Results

An_254853 responded:
There is a steroid injection that can greatly diminish and flatten a raised scar by breaking down the scar tissue from the inside. Im not sure it would cure your problem but it may help and its very non-invasive and painless. It is called triamcinolone acetonide. In United States the market name for it is "Kenalog". If you can get a Dr. to write a prescription,if that is required in your country, you can order it online and do the injection yourself. It takes only a very small amount, about .1 ml per cm of the scar's area. After the injection it can take a few weeks to see the result. At that time you can do another injection of necessary.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

WHAT DO U DO WHEN THE CHILDRENS SERVERE ECEMA
I HAVE TWO GRANDCHILDRENS WITH EXTREME ECZEMA. THE GIRL CRY &SCRATCH ,THE BOY IS A 8 MOS AND HE SCRATCH TILL HE BLEED I PUT THE CREAM ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful