Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Suffering from Seborrheic Dermatitis
dkd0831 posted:
Hi! I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis in my scalp and NOTHING seems to help and I've tried everything! Washing my hair more/less frequently, different prescription shampoos, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar. The flakes always come back. And I've made a horrible habit out of picking at the flakes so now my scalp is one irritated mess. Does anyone have any suggestions or success stories? I don't want to continue to live like this and would love to have a healthy scalp.

Thanks,
Dawn

danarochelleh responded:
Hey Dawn,
I just wanted to share my story as well. I think yours is similar to mine with regards to dermatitis in general. I have been dealing with perioral dermatitis for over 10 years. I have been to the derm who told me to quit using toothpastes with whitening and tartar control I them. I did that, no luck. Used "organic" everything with no luck! I was only getting relief by living on doxycycline and topical steroids (cultivate) and then protopic. The doxy made me sick if I ate it without food so half the time I would forget and would get another nasty flare up. Mine were so bad at times it would even be in my eyebrows. I have used all the yucky toothpastes and even changed all my hair/body products to fluoride and SLS free just trying like crazy to determine what I was allergic to. I finally broke down in Aug 2013 and went to an allergist. Had all the test (prick and skin tests) done and nothing was found!! I was so upset since I had to spend all the extra money (insurance only covered a small portion for allergy testing) only to have zero answers. Well here it is Jan 2014 and I have had no flare ups AT ALL since Dec 2013, right after Christmas. You see, my friend finally convinced me to try Plexus products because I was trying to lose some weight. One of the products I was using in conjunction with that was their ProBio5. I had only been using the products for a couple weeks when I went out of town after Christmas. I was gone for 3 days and when I got home it dawned on me that I hadn't taken my doxy the entire time I was gone and my face had no signs of flare up. So I continued to NOT take my doxy and I have still NOT had the first sign of a flare up even coming. I KNOW it is the Probio. I swear, any of you out there that are and have been suffering and dealing with this MUST try the ProBio. I actually signed up to share the products so if you have any questions PLEASE contact me. I am not a scammer, I am living proof that it works. You can go to www.plexusslim.com/productinfo and get my email if you want to message me. You can also get the product from that site. I have been FREE of the flare ups FINALLY!!!!!

An_256613 responded:
I was misdiagnosed with Pityriasis Rosea when I was 23 (pink, flaky bumps all over my body) but recently started believing it could be Seborrheic Dermatitis when it began affecting my scalp, hairline, forehead and even eyebrows. (I'm now thirty) I haven't tried any of the Plexus items that this person has suggested (but I'm about to try!) I tried shampoos without lauryl sulfate or whatever it's called, and even tried Head and Shoulders and Selsun Blue...nothing helped. I don't know if this will work for you, but I had some Aquaphor left over from when I had gotten a tattoo. I figured "screw it", I've tried everything else, it won't hurt to try, and within a week i noticed the bumps were less raised and less flaky/itchy...until they pretty much went away. Now, it didn't keep them from coming back the next time my body wanted to act up, but it DID keep it in check and almost seemed to send it into remission. I just rubbed (good) a small amount onto the affected area of my scalp or eyebrow every morning after I showered (whether I washed my hair or not.) Aquaphor can be found at any major drugstore, or even in the lotion section of your local Target. Less than five bucks for a tube, so if it doesn't work, you're not out a fortune. I hope this is helpful to you! If not, then good luck and I hope we both find the cure we're searching for!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.