Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Skin lesion due to cold weather
bobdylan11 posted:
I had no experience with cold weather. While traveling in Europe i exposed my hands for several days to low temperatures, from 0 to 6 degrees celsius on average. I felt my hands a bit painful and burning everyday but nothing happened to it. However, there was a particular day that i could not manage the cold in my hands, in such day my hand's skin were severely dry and got lesions over those bones before the fingers. The skin in those spots were peeling and the region stayed in purple color for several days, then it turned redish and now it is looking like a soft sunburn(has been so for two months).

Does anyone know what is that? How can i make my skin back to the original color?

atti_editor responded:
Hi bobdylan11,

I am not a medical professional, so I cannot give you a diagnosis. But, it sounds to me like you may have had a case of frostbite or frostnip on your hands. It usually effects hands, fingers, toes, nose, etc. -- places farther away from your body's core that don't get as much blood flow. Here are some treatment tips for frostbite. Even though you have had these symptoms for two months, I would still encourage you to make an appointment with your doctor to make sure the blood is circulating normally through your hands, and to determine if frostbite was the cause of your symptoms or if there is something else going on.

-Atti

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.