Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Skin cracks spreading on hands
3ammora89 posted:
I have these cracks mostly on the finger joints and side of fingers. They start small and they turn to cuts. They are spreading out I suspect because I rub the lotion around. Even when it heals, the color of the skin remains lighter. Can you please tell me what this is? I can't afford to go to a dermatologist. Thanks.

Here are the pictures, I uploaded them to photobucket:

An_255350 responded:
I have the EXACT SAME condition, but far worse. I have let it go untreated for a couple of weeks, in the hopes that things like neosporin, lotion, even carnuba wax and coconut/shea butter will abate the problem. It HASN'T, and too, do not know what it is oior can afford a dermatologist. I will be following this thread as closely as possible. Thanks for asking...

helenness responded:
I used to have cracked, chapped skin like yours, often bleeding and getting worse during winter. As I am a nurse I wash my hands many times during the day which made things worse. I tried all shorts of staff, some worked more some less. The one thing that worked best for me is an all natural healing cream which has skin regenerative properties . It's called Athos Miracle Cream. The site is this one www.miraclecream.org. Hope I could be of some help.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

While we cannot give medical advice or diagnosis here, you might want to look at this information on eczema, which can cause dry skin, itching and eventually a raised rash. For some people, this is a chronic condition. This article has some skin care tips that you might try, including keeping your skin hydrated and avoiding common irritants.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.