Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone else deal with this?
jessicalm100 posted:
My one year old has never been properly diagnosed with Eczema but his pediatrician has told me he has a "feeling" that's what he has. About a month ago my sons finger became extremely inflamed, and during this time his eczema has flared up extremely bad on his knees and the back of his legs. We spent the first week in and out of the ER 5 times. The first visit they lanced his finger. It got worse so the second visit they had a hand surgeon come in a sedate him to lance it again. After almost a week on antibiotics and it being drained it did not get better. The size increased and the redness down his finger was spreading. The 5th time going to the ER they admitted him to the hospital and put him on IV antibiotics. They sent us home the next day and just changed his antibiotics. I hate his little body being filled with these drugs that don't seem to be doing anything. His skin began to peel off his finger and it seemed to get better for about a week but now his finger is swelling again and extremely red. They told me it was paronychia at first then a felon and herpetic whitlow. I feel they have misdiagnosed him because it's going on over a month now and he is still going through this. I've had friends and family tell me it looks like he has MRSA. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? Is there a link between Eczema and whatever is going on with his finger? Who should I seek out for this because the surgeon and his doctor haven't been very helpful. Why is this recurring so quickly? He has an appointment tomorrow with his pediatrician.[br>*He is my first baby and I'm very worried and not sure where to look for the next step*[br>He was on septra, cephalexin, and acyclovir the first go round and he was taking them multiple times a day.[br>He is now on acyclovir and cephalexin again but only once a day this time.[br>His cheeks have also been very red the past few days as well but no fever.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.