Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Skin discoloration
zs234 posted:
I have experienced a serious skin discoloration on both sides of my shoulders, leading down to my back. It all started after coming back from a cruise trip from the bahamas, I seemed to have gotten sun burned on both sides of my shoulder and both of shoulders were very dark. The next day my skin was peeling from both sides, I scrubbed some of the skin off each shoulders and I've noticed that I had a serious discoloration on each shoulder. I've been putting on creams to help keep it dry, but my color of skin hasn't seem to come back, it's been a week and half now. Today I've noticed my back was ashy as well, almost the first time seeing flaky skin. I looked closely in the mirror and saw light discoloration as well. Could you guys please explain to me what you make think this is? Vitiligo? Or pigment loss? What should I do? I've attached pictures below.

I have experienced a serious skin discoloration on both sides of my shoulders, leading down to my back. It all started after coming back from a cruise trip from the bahamas, I seemed to have gotten sun burned on both sides of my shoulder and both of shoulders were very dark. The next day my skin was peeling from both sides, I scrubbed some of the skin off each shoulders and I've noticed that I had a serious discoloration on each shoulder. I've been putting on creams to help keep it dry, but my color of skin hasn't seem to come back, it's been a week and half now. Today I've noticed my back was ashy as well, almost the first time seeing flaky skin. I looked closely in the mirror and saw light discoloration as well. Could you guys please explain to me what you make think this is? Vitiligo? Or pigment loss? What should I do? I've attached pictures below

I have experienced a serious skin discoloration on both sides of my shoulders, leading down to my back. It all started after coming back from a cruise trip from the bahamas, I seemed to have gotten sun burned on both sides of my shoulder and both of shoulders were very dark. The next day my skin was peeling from both sides, I scrubbed some of the skin off each shoulders and I've noticed that I had a serious discoloration on each shoulder. I've been putting on creams to help keep it dry, but my color of skin hasn't seem to come back, it's been a week and half now. Today I've noticed my back was ashy as well, almost the first time seeing flaky skin. I looked closely in the mirror and saw light discoloration as well. Could you guys please explain to me what you make think this is? Vitiligo? Or pigment loss? What should I do? I've attached pictures below.

atti_editor responded:
Hi zs234,

Skin damage can cause pigmentation loss that usually corrects itself after time. Exposure to sun usually causes your skin to darken, but it may be possible that a sunburn could be the cause of this lightening. If you are worried about your symptoms (or if they are worsening) it would be a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor or a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Got Eczema or Roseaca? caring help is on the way-.... heres a tip for you!
LIMU (Gentle seaweed cleanser) for men and Women and safe for kids too! remove eye makeup and shave with this popular daily cleanser from ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.