Skin discoloration
zs234 posted:
I have experienced a serious skin discoloration on both sides of my shoulders, leading down to my back. It all started after coming back from a cruise trip from the bahamas, I seemed to have gotten sun burned on both sides of my shoulder and both of shoulders were very dark. The next day my skin was peeling from both sides, I scrubbed some of the skin off each shoulders and I've noticed that I had a serious discoloration on each shoulder. I've been putting on creams to help keep it dry, but my color of skin hasn't seem to come back, it's been a week and half now. Today I've noticed my back was ashy as well, almost the first time seeing flaky skin. I looked closely in the mirror and saw light discoloration as well. Could you guys please explain to me what you make think this is? Vitiligo? Or pigment loss? What should I do? I've attached pictures below.

I have experienced a serious skin discoloration on both sides of my shoulders, leading down to my back. It all started after coming back from a cruise trip from the bahamas, I seemed to have gotten sun burned on both sides of my shoulder and both of shoulders were very dark. The next day my skin was peeling from both sides, I scrubbed some of the skin off each shoulders and I've noticed that I had a serious discoloration on each shoulder. I've been putting on creams to help keep it dry, but my color of skin hasn't seem to come back, it's been a week and half now. Today I've noticed my back was ashy as well, almost the first time seeing flaky skin. I looked closely in the mirror and saw light discoloration as well. Could you guys please explain to me what you make think this is? Vitiligo? Or pigment loss? What should I do? I've attached pictures below

I have experienced a serious skin discoloration on both sides of my shoulders, leading down to my back. It all started after coming back from a cruise trip from the bahamas, I seemed to have gotten sun burned on both sides of my shoulder and both of shoulders were very dark. The next day my skin was peeling from both sides, I scrubbed some of the skin off each shoulders and I've noticed that I had a serious discoloration on each shoulder. I've been putting on creams to help keep it dry, but my color of skin hasn't seem to come back, it's been a week and half now. Today I've noticed my back was ashy as well, almost the first time seeing flaky skin. I looked closely in the mirror and saw light discoloration as well. Could you guys please explain to me what you make think this is? Vitiligo? Or pigment loss? What should I do? I've attached pictures below.

atti_editor responded:
Hi zs234,

Skin damage can cause pigmentation loss that usually corrects itself after time. Exposure to sun usually causes your skin to darken, but it may be possible that a sunburn could be the cause of this lightening. If you are worried about your symptoms (or if they are worsening) it would be a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor or a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis.

Best wishes,
Atti