Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
serious acne trouble
bretony posted:
I am 20 years old, and i never had like really bad acne ever before, but last year around october, i had a huge bump on my nose that really irritated me....it stayed there for a while, and never really went away, but ever since then, my entire face has been breakin out so much all over, i cant even cover it with make up anymore, its just horrible. it really stresses me out in all aspects of life. i use to model sometimes and do fashion shows, but now i can barely stand to go out. i have tried microdermabrasion but had to stop becasuse i am poor. i tired going to the dermetologist but i dont have health insurance so i couldnt afford that really either. i try otc stuff all the time, but nothing seems to ever work...

I just dont know what to do. my 21st birthday is may 26th and i am so sad to think about my skin on my only 21st birthday...it just really makes me wanna cry. is there ANY hope for me before my birthday?

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Bretony,

Acne can affect anyone at any age. My suggestions is to see a dermatologist or a family doctor as you may need prescription topical and/or oral medications to get the acne under control.

Even with OTC acne medications that contain 2 percent salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide (2.5 percent to 10 percent) and sulfur, you have to be consistant and cleanse and medicate your face at least twice a day. And the acne that you see today took time to get there so acne won't disappear overnight.

Also take a look at your diet and read about zinc and acne and see if these supplements are right for you or not.

Use the WebMD search engine with acne as the keyword to read more about this topic too.

- Annie

AcneFYI responded:
Hi Bretony.

Have you ever considered that maybe you are allergic to something that is causing your acne? I suffer with allergy related acne due to cinnamon and musk. I have to avoid foods with cinnamon. I also have to avoid all beauty products that contain musk and any ingredients related to cinnamon. Meaning, I don't use products that have words with the letters "cinna" in it. For example, Hexyl Cinnamal and Octyl Methoxycinnamate just to name a few.

Your particular acne problems may not be related to cinnamon or musk allergies or even an allergy at all but it is something to consider. Believe me, I know, when you are desperate you'll try anything. I am one of the lucky acne victims, I am able to stay acne free as long as I avoid cinnamon and musk. It's sometimes hard to avoid cinnamon when you eat out in restaurants because sauces and stuff may have cinnamon in them. Best of luck to you on your acne fighting journey. Remember to smile, it distracts people from noticing your acne.

LauraAnn1966 responded:
Good Evening, I too suffered with terrible acne, ( I am now 41) I have children that have also suffered. Through much to much money and tears I came to finally a natural remedy. First, you must be committed to this daily to be successful. You want to eat a healthy diet, stay away from sugars. We have found that an all natural soap, (melaleuca (tea tree oil) and geranium) wash your face at least 2 times a day, 3 would be best until it's under control. followed by the all natural melaleuca oil, I recently found that "Burts Bees" has a wonderful blemish oil/liquid that worked wonders just over night! These are not harsh and don't have side affects.

I know how traumatic this can be, I lived it and so did and do my children. I can offer more information if your interested. But this really did make a huge improvement and I watched the confidence of my own children build.

63SUH responded:
I had acne that was minor but when my doctor changed my birth control I had a major issue with acne. I put a lot of money into it and this is what worked. The dermatologist told me to stop using the expensive stuff and use chetaphil products which are way less than what I was using. You can get them from Costco or Walmart. I use the cleanser, moistuorizer, and sun block. I had to use some antibiotics to help me initially and he prescribed some topical cream. Wow, what a difference but it took time. I still have scars that I am trying to get rid of but at least I don't have any more acne and I have saved so much money by not buying everything under the sun which probably also irritated my skin more.

shelle30 responded:
Honey, You need to get proactive. It really does work, also if you find a special, you can get it for19.95 instead of 40.00. Also get yourself some bareminerals makeup by Bare Esentuals. It does cost 60.00 but it is so pure you can sleep in it! And what they give you will last a long time before you need more. Excellent coverage, not greasy and cakey. I also have acne and have tried everything! these 2 products together are perfect. One more thing, you might also be allergic to your laundry detergent and don't use dryer sheets. These products always irritated my skin and make me break out constantly. Arm and hammer dermatologist tested is a good one to use.

alyssa713 responded:
Have you ever tried supplements? It may be something to consider since they work from the inside out. Nature's Cure makes an otc kind that I used for a while as a teenager, and there are a couple other lines to try: I use the Murad Pure Skin Supplements right now. Granted my skin's still not perfect, but they do seem to help. Perricone MD Skin Clear Dietary Supplements are some others that I've seen - haven't tried these yet but I have an order on the way to see if they're better than the Murad ones. Both of these can be bought at Sephora. Not extremely cheap, but surely not the price of prescriptions either.

Another thing to consider: exfoliating regularly seems to help my skin also. There's a brand called Eminence that's all organic that makes a Yam and Pumpkin Enzyme Peel and my skin seems to be best (relatively) the day after I use this. You can search on amazon to find a good deal. They also have an anti-blemish kit that I've never tried but has been recommended to me.

ONE more thing: if microdermabrasion worked for you, have you considered at-home microderm products? There are some otc ones or Sephora has a few as well - more expensive of course but maybe better.

Best wishes to you. I know how depressing it is to deal with serious acne. I've dealt with it since I was a teenager in phases. I'm still trying to work through it as well but those are the tips I do have right now. If you find anything that seems to be a life-saver, I'd love to hear about it as well!

Hobeau6 responded:
Bretony, go see a Dermatologist. It will be worth the expense in self-esteem for the rest of your life!!!

He or she will probably probe some of the spots on your face and analyze them to determine what caused them. Some causes can be CHOCOLATE, FISH, IODIZED SALT, SOFT DRINKS, and maybe some of the things mentioned in other replies to your message.

He or she will apply heat, probably, in carefully administered manners and doses.

In a month, I'll BET you are cleared up.

Good Luck!!

OttsMandy responded:
I too have problems with acne. I have lupus, I am just starting to get the so called butterfly rash they say you get with lupus, but I also have what I call lesions all over my body. They look like little cyst then open and have a hole in them. Almost as if a bug has burrowed out of it. It's terrible. I too have tried several otcs and prescriptions, to no avail. However I did find that Palmers cocobutter works well. I scrub my face with Ivory soap and a rough sponge, then apply the palmers (lotion, not actual butter) before retiring for the night. It doesn't get rid of it but it helps. If you come up with anything else please help...I also found that the natural burts bee items work pretty good and I'm broke as well so it's affordable.. Good Luck.

dkatrinna responded:
I have a smiliar situation, the cheapest safest solution is antibiotics. Dr. prescribed them for acne all the time. It works when nothing else works. Don't over due washing and keep you hands away, do not pick, it will make it worst and leave scars. Basicaklly all the otc stuff is all the same, one is not gonna work better then the other. You need to treat it from the inside out. I'm currentyl taking amoxicillian it's safe and pretty cheap.

wth84 responded:
I switched to using cetaphil clenser and lotion as opposed to the harsher otc chemicals and have had a great response. my face looks better now than it ever did with antibiotics and prescription creams/ointments or even with proactiv. i use them once or twice a day, i try not to over do it. the moisturizer is amazing in that its not greasy at all and it makes my face feel smoother/softer. this is where i would start if i didnt have health insurance.

im learning to be kind to my face...and its loving it

good luck

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

WHAT DO U DO WHEN THE CHILDRENS SERVERE ECEMA
I HAVE TWO GRANDCHILDRENS WITH EXTREME ECZEMA. THE GIRL CRY &SCRATCH ,THE BOY IS A 8 MOS AND HE SCRATCH TILL HE BLEED I PUT THE CREAM ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.