Skip to content
red itchy bumps on legs
angie_piercy posted:
Hello, I have had these small red bumps on my legs ever since I can remember and they itch alot. More so after I shave but the bumps NEVER go away. I seen a doctor about this several years ago and they told me they didn't know, so that was a waste of money. They are not bright red but a dull red color of bumps and sometimes they itch so bad after I shave that I make my legs bleed. So if anybody knows what this is and how I can treat it. I would really appreciate it. I'm tired of dealing with this I have done it all my life. Please help me!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi angie,

Shaving can irritate your skin follicles thus the red and itchy bumps. Be sure to use a clean, sharp razor to shave your legs. Also be sure to use a good shaving cream, look for one that is unscented.

Have you tried waxing or sugaring your legs as you may find that you don't have to shave every day as those methods remove the hair below the skin.

You may also want to consider laser hair removal, especially if you have dark hair and light skin on your legs. It is expensive and you need to make a number of visits spaced a few months apart as hair grows in cycles and lasers can only target hair in the growing phase. Try using the WebMD search engine with laser hair removal.

- Annie

ivy7557 responded:
I have small red bumps too that itch like crazy sometimes. Not sure what they are or if it's the same as what you have, but I use an over-the-counter cortizone cream and that seems to work for me. They still come and go though, but at least I can stop the itching. Moisturizing also helps a bit.

angie_piercy responded:
thanks for the help. the only thing is i dont just get the bumps when i shave i have them all the time. so if you have any other suggestions i would really appreciate them. i have tried the diffrent shaving creams, baby oil, hand lotion, conditioners, ect. but my legs itch and have the red bumps even when i dont shave. i have had them for as long as i can remember. and so far nothing has helped and noone can tell me what this is.

angie_piercy responded:
do you have the red bumps all the time? my legs dont itch all the time but sometimes they do even when i dont shave. i have went to the doctor and they still cant tell me what it is. it would be nice to know im not the only one out there that is having this problem. thanks for the info and if you have any other suggestions i would love to hear them. i have tried the prescription creams and they didnt work.

atraywick responded:
I have this same issue and I too have had it as long as I can remember. I haven't been able to wear shorts for years and after recently having my daughter its getting worse. It itches so badly that I get scabs that form my scratch marks, and not to sounds too gross but they are kind of like ingrown hairs all over my thighs, the area over my calves and the sides of my knees. I also have it on the backs of my arms. A few years ago I went to a dermatologist but she couldnt ever really tell me what it was. The only thing I can remember her saying was that it had something to do with excess skin growth (that also sounds gross). The only thing she could tell me was to get all of my soap and lotions scent free and prescribed this lotion with an acid ingredient. It worked temporarily but it eventually returned. I have noticed that when I use the tanning bed in addition to Eucerin lotion and Bath and Body Works Sugar Scrub it nearly disappears! Try that and let me know how it works for you. And don't get discouraged...you're not the only one.

kidkure replied to angie_piercy's response:
prolly happens more during the winter?...its from the dry air angie....low humidity from the heater ....salt water will help the itching.....moisterize your legs

_Angela_ responded:
Hello my name is Angela I'm 18 years old and it sounds like I have the same thing you are describing, I just wanted to know if in these years have you found the cause of your condition and any treatment that has help you take away the red bumps.

diytestkitsdotcom replied to _Angela_'s response:
If this has been going on for a while now, maybe you should go to a dermatologist or even a general practitioner with extensive experience on skin related diseases. Get a skin test also to determine what causes allergic reactions on your skin.

These bumps can be caused be the types of food you eat, the environment you are exposed to, even the heat or the sun and the particles in the air can bring these skin conditions out. Keep your skin moisturized as dry skin attracts bacteria and viruses into its cracks to cause infections.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.