Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dark spots on both sides of my face
FrizzyT posted:
Ok so I've had these dark spots on both sides of my face for a little over a year now I asked someone about it and they said people that have diabetes gets it but the thing is I already checked my blood sugar and I don't have diabetes so that's not it. And I have no idea why they popped up all I know is enough is enough.. does anyone know of any facial/lightening cream that will get rid of it? I have a picture below of it to show you exactly what I'm talking about..

tinypic.com/r/2wej41g/6

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi FrizzyT,

At the current time this message board does not support posting images in posts.

Uneven skin tone can be caused by too much sun exposure, it can be caused by hormones including oral contraceptives. The medical term is melasma or chloasma. Also post inflammatory acne can leave darkened marks on the face especially in people who have an olive or darker skin tone.

Read more about melasma and chloasma as well as Acne before seeing a doctor for help.

- Annie

BayAreaGirlyGirl responded:
Hyperpigmentation (aka Chloasma or Melasma) is generally caused by either hormones or sun damage.

Its really common to see women who are pregnant or going through menopause develop pigmentation changes. Also common, is when a person, male or female, has unprotected skin, fresh to the surface exposed to UV rays. This might happen due to waxing for hair removal or a facial product that exfoliates (alpha hydroxy acids and retinoids are an example). Some people will develop more sun damage on the left side due to driving!

Suggestions: Be serious about using sunscreen, even on cloudy days. Over the counter lightening cremes will contain a 2% hydroquinone - best used on a short term basis, read the package. Misuse could make spots worse. Natural skin brightening ingredients to look for would be licorice root or kojic acid. Also a good vitamin C serum can both brighten and help counter the effects of sun damage.

aidenb replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have then same thing what kind of product s could I use to brighten darker uneven spots?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to aidenb's response:
Dear Aiden

There are many over the counter as well as rx products that can brighten dark spots. If you would like to start with over the counter options you can look for kojic acid, licorice extract, soy, arbutin as well as 2% hydroquinone (which should NOT be used long term as it is controversially a carcinogen). If those are not helping, consult with your local dermatologist who can give you prescription products.
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

skinvogue responded:
I see your image. Your spot is quite dark. But not to worry. There have some natural based skin care product which is totally removed your dark spot and clear your skin. You can use obagi kits . This is an all in one. It change your skin complexion and reduce your dark spot deeply. Try it for best result. take care.

crystalfetterman responded:
I would suggest consulting a doctor. I had developed red scar on my face and the reason was allergy. I took the treatment but the scar did not go. I tried many creams but everything failed. Finally, i decided to undergo Photorejuvenation in mississauga which was recommended by my friend. it worked!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

psoriasis tips
I have put up with psoriasis for decades. Nasty drugs like embrel will have dramatic results but at a huge cost to both your body and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.