Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
white spots on skin(arms,legs)
tallyman23 posted:
HI...just tuned into this message board.. My wife has developed some white spots (not patches) the size of small pencil erasers, on her upper and lower arms, not hands, and lower legs, not upper thighs. None on face, forehead, or stomach or back. She does go out into the sun, and I admit not with sunblock lotion, but sometimes even with an acclerant, like Hawaiian Tropic. Not anymore of course. This had started several years ago, and she is now 54 years. A doctor, general, not dermatogist, just said to put sunscreen on, and typical advice to stay out of the worst hours,(10-4) etc, etc. Does anybody have this condition? Would sure like some direction in identifying it and what course to take.....have put a couple hours on this site, looking at videos of skin problems and see nothing like it visually and characteristically. Any help? thanks in advance tallyman23 :

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there,

You probably reaize that sun damage to skin is cumulative so all the sun exposure in the past can come back to haunt you in the form of uneven skin tone including age spots and changes in skin color.

Read more about uneven skin tone, skin depigmentation, and moles and freckles to find articles that may be helpful to you and your wife.

Remember that a good broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with at least an SPF 15 must be worn every day on exposed skin and reapplied too.

Do have your wife see a dermatologist for help too.

- Annie

NoNotMyEmail123 responded:
hey Tallyman...I'm not sure if I know exactly what your talking about...My mom actually has White spots oon her skin basically all over her body theyre not little eraser spots thought there big spots some are eraser spots etc...basically the doctors told her the same thing to just stay out of the sun...but my mom skin color pigmentation is i guess a hormonal problem...

...But i have told my mom about Norwegian Formula Age Shield...so she can use it...she's only recently started using it and hers is worse then your wifes and she likes it... ...But this hand cream which is clinically proven to reduce age spots and fine lines on the hands in just 4 weeks should help your wife see a positve difference if she gives it a try...its basically a hand cream and it has SPF 30 with Helioplex Technology which gives it its strong UVA and UVB protection and the UVA rays are the skin aging rays which can cause fine lines, deep wrinkles, UNEVEN SKIN TONE and premature aging...

so if you guys give it a try let me know how it turns out...i hope i was helpful because i know how bad that problem is from my mom.

Irshad2 responded:
Hi Tallyman I think this is depigmentation problem in skin. There are few skin conditions that causes white spots on skin like Nevus depigmentosus, Pityriasis Alba, White scars and hypopigmentation, Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis and Vitiligo. (source: www.antivitiligo.com/vitiligo/things-like-vitiligo.html )

I think use of sunscreen is better option for you . Because such skin spots appear when UV radiation damage pigment producing cells of skin.

prisaustin responded:
I have the same problem you mentioned above and I have started taking folic acid and B12. It is suggested that this will help correct the problem. After taking for about 3 months, I can tell a marked improvement. The spots are much lighter and even with a decent tan they are not so noticeable. I am not embarassed to wear short sleeved shirts. The information I read about this problem said that it could take up to a year for the spots to lighten. It's worth a try and the vitamins are good for you in general.

bobfritz11 responded:
my girlfriend is 64 and has the small ( pencil eraser sized ) white spots all over the front and sides of her legs ,. very few on the back side of the legs..v Tell me what you have found out...

Thank you

bobfritz1149@gmail.com

bobfritz11 replied to prisaustin's response:
What is your dosage of B-12 and of Folic acid..

Thank you

bobfritz1149@gmail.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.