Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Red blotches on legs - non-itchy
keelyj1 posted:
For the past 6-9 months, I've noticed many red blotches on my calves and some on my inner thighs. They have no texture to the touch and are not itchy. They are different sizes, but approximately the size of a finger tip. There are ALOT of them and boy are they ugly. I'm 40 years old, female and had my 2nd son 2 years ago. I've made a couple appts. with my dermatologist, but she's recently had back surgery and had to cancel my appointments. I will be re-scheduling with her, but wondered if anyone had any ideas before I actually got into see her. Thanks. Keely
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi keely,

Unfortunately it's not possible to guess as to what the spots could be but it's a good idea to visit your dermatologist to find out what they are and to get them treated if necessary.

You may want to try out the Symptom Checker tool which will help narrow any search for WebMD articles that may be relevant to you.

- Annie

Dee2d responded:
Hi Keely, You posted this quite a while back. I'm hoping you still log on here and get my message. I'm wondering if you ever found out what the problem was and got it resolved. I have red blotches on my legs and ankle. No pain or itching, just ugly. The small ones kind of look like a hicky (you know from making out and necking? do they still do that lol) the one on my ankle is large and I thought was caused from sitting on my foot. Hope to hear from you.

gailgirl3 responded:
Did you ever find out what it was? I have exactly the same thing and would appreciate hearing the outcome for you. Thanks.

sitstoomuch responded:
I know you posted this a while ago, but I've had this exact same problem recently so I thought I would reply.

The problem started a couple of years after I started a job where I sit a lot in front of a computer. I noticed that my legs were often stiff when I got up. Sometimes my butt would be sore a little after the work day. My amount of exercise also dropped off since I was tired at the end of the day and usually didn't feel like exercising.

So it's possible that I was causing a condition of poor circulation in my legs. The red blotches were randomly located on my legs, mostly below the knees. No pain, no itching. Just ugly. They didn't fade much on their own. And new blotches could appear at any time.

My doctor said that he'd seen this before but wasn't sure of the cause of the problem. He told me to use over the counter 1% cortisone cream. The cream helped to lighten the blotches a little, but soon reached its limits and the blotches didn't lighten any further. I was hesitant to ask for a stronger steroid cream since I try to avoid powerful drugs unless absolutely necessary.

What did help to clear up the blotches was a combination of more exercise and exposing my legs frequently to the sun. I sat out in the yard or by pools and did some light tanning on my legs and torso. I wore shorts when I went hiking to let the sun hit my legs. On my arms, hands, face, and neck, I usually put sunscreen since they already get plenty of sun.

For exercise, I used leg machines in the weight room and hiking. Walking by itself just didn't seem to be enough to make a difference with the blotches.

Within a short time of the sun therapy and increased exercise (like a month), the blotches went away.

musicplayshere replied to sitstoomuch's response:
Im glad someone has responded so soon. I am a male, age 16, and over the last year or so i have had red blotches on my inner thighs close to my groin.
They are really strange because they started out like dime size red dots then smaller ones formed next to it, then a large on formed on the other side, then really small ones.
But they dissapear and come back, like fade out from the center and sometimes the side. I was searching around and thought it might be Pityriasis Rosea, but after reading your last comment i think it might be just from the constant heat/pressure/friction. I am not over weight but i do sit around alot, i am quite fit acutually. But over the last few days i have been putting shower to shower on, to stop from sweating there but im not sure if its helping or hurting so i plan on continuing to do so for a bit to see what happens.
xD if you saw me now you would think i had baggy pants on 24/7 i am starting to stand with my legs spread just a little. Anyway ill get to exercising more and less sitting, see if the problem goes away.
But, the whole sun thing, i dont see that happening, sure i do live in the country so i could go on the huge hill beind my house and lay in the sun nude but that just sounds like way to much work.
If you have any other advice, or think it could be something else, let me know. Thank you.

Acillies replied to musicplayshere's response:
I don't know if u guys ever considered this but it might be where u sleep i had the same condition on my legs and how i treated it was using a bug bite cream with a normal skin cream to keep my skin hydrated also changing my sheets regularly and vacuuming my bed cause its was those dam bed mites

nickydoo10 responded:
keely i have had mine for 2 years..they go away a little in the summer when i get tan...but in the winter they come back bad..just on my calves...my dermatologist gave me some cream and it didn't work!!!!! don't know what 2 do now..

lucyo1o responded:
I have noticed that when I go into the sun lately ( I am photosensitive) with my legs exposed, red blotches appear. Almost like blood has pooled around my cellulose. I wish I can attach the photos I took this past summer.
The blotches are not painful or itchy, just frightening looking.
It takes about a week or two to get rid of them. The only thing I know about this condition is that it appears when I expose my legs to the sun.

My arms and face are also sensitive to the sun but the blotches only appear on my legs. I get second degree burns if I forget to apply 100% sunblock. I get this sensitivity from taking quinine for my leg cramps. I no longer take the medication, but remain photosensitive. I have to drive with extreme tinting on my car windows to avoid burns.

An_245388 responded:
I have the same thing on my calve and the back of my thigh. Just red blotchy spots that look like hickeys. They don't hurt or itch, I didn't even notice them until someone pointed them out. It's only on my right leg, not at all on my left. I haven't investigated that much into whats causing it but I know it's not where I sleep because my leg is the only thing affected. It's not sun exposure because it's stuck around through winter. I have been exposing my legs to the sun in the past few weeks and I haven't noticed any difference.

I'm fairly fit, excersize regularly and eat healthy so I doubt it's a circulation or diet problem. I do sit at a desk for work, but not all day. I have a small heater under my desk that I use when it's cold. When rest my legs on it and warm up the area it seems to get worse. It doesn't bug me that much, they're just ugly, and now that I know I'm not the only one with the same problem I'm extremely curious to find out what's affecting my skin to make it like this.

bpsmyth replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
I started out with a small red oval on my hip and over a year it got very large. They dont itch or cause any pain and they are very even in color. I went to the doctor and he did test for lime and cancer and blood work for my organs. All negative. he put me on an antibiotic and now I have 2 more very large oval spots and a small one on my belly. The doctor is a dermitologist and deals with cancer patients and serious issues but he is dumb founded by my condition. I am nevous and a little scared. Im gonna try some OTC creams and see what happens.

CarlyCar replied to bpsmyth's response:
Try iodine (the small bottle) concentrated - apply every night and see if it works. It sounds like a fungal type.

CarlyCar responded:
see post by carlycar

CarlyCar replied to CarlyCar's response:
See "smooth little red spots" posted by CarlyCar

An_253505 replied to An_245388's response:
Hi An_245388,

Did you ever get a diagnosis to your condition? I feel I have the EXACT same situation. I have not found anything on the internet that has matched my symptoms, and healthy lifestyle, until I read your post. Please let me know if you've uncovered anything, or are perfectly healthy today (as your post was over a year ago).

Thank you!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.