Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Recurring "boil?" on 12 year old daughter's arm
sabbymama posted:
Hi everyone,

My 12 y/o daughter had a staph infeciton (lesion, 102+ fever) back in Dec. that mostly cleared up, leaving a small bump on her forearm, just above her wrist. About 3 and a half weeks ago, it became inflamed again and began draining. We used Mupirocin to no avail, so began Kefflex? which worked last time, but saw no results. A lab culture determined an unidentified strep presence (not sure if it's A, B, ?) and provided some recommended anti-biotics and confirmed an ineffectivel reaction to the Kefflex. She has done a full course of Amoxicillin, and is on her 5th day of Augmentin, but still no improvement. With warm compresses, it occasionnally drains, but a lot of blood comes out as opposed to pus. A local dermatologist says it is a furuncle, and wants to do laser treatments on it while continuing the antibiotic course. (Our Embassy medical advisors are hesitant to allow this type of treatment without further research.) He (the local dr.) also wants me to use a solution called Benzin to clean the affected area. I can't find anything on this...and it's too close to Benzene for me, so I am NOT using it. I should mention we are currently residing in a country (in Eastern Europe) not known for the best medical care and I am concerned that we may need to return to the US to get a better opinion. Has anyone ever dealt with recurring infections of this nature? Are laser treatments viable and safe? Any suggestions would be seriously appreciated!!! I'm one seriously stressed out Mom!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.