Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Stabbed by a yucca plant in hand - question regarding swelling.
An_207874 posted:
I was stabbed in the hand by the leaves on a yucca plant yesterday, and it has been swollen since. Today it is more swollen (the size of a golf ball), warm to touch, and tightness when I make a fist. Should I go to the doctor, or will this go away? I can't find any information online in regards to whether yucca is poisonous.

**I took benedryl last night and this morning, and it does not seem to be having any effect on the swelling.

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon 19406:

Yes, get to the doctor right away. That amount of swelling combined with the warmth indicates a possible infection. While yucca is not necessarily poisonous, the sharp tips can deeply puncture the skin and anything on the needle can then be transferred into your skin.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.