Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Treatment for a large skin pinch blood blister.
An_207900 posted:
Treatment for a large skin pinch blood blister. Should we pop it to relieve pressure and promote healing? We heard that ice would help. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon 1512,

A blood blister that results from a pinch is an accumulation of blood as a result of trauma to the skin.

It is best NOT to pop a blood blister as this can lead to infection and possibly even delay the natural healing process of your body. Covering the blood blister with a soft dressing to keep it protected can be helpful as it resolves on its own.

If the person who has the blood blister has any underlying health conditions, especially diabetes, it would be appropriate to seek medical care.

If the blood blister pops on its own, do not peel off the remaining skin. Rather, leave it in place, treat the area with an antiseptic ointment and cover with a clean dressing. Allow it to heal in its own time.

If the injury is very recent, ice can help to reduce the pain that the trauma initially induced.

Best,

Dr. Evans

gamatojones replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Thank You Dr. Evans!

remmey replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Being elderly, all I have to do is gently hit my skin and blood blister pops up. I look terrible. It does not hurt. Will any vitiams or minerals help.

Susan Evans, MD replied to remmey's response:
Dear Remmey,

Yes, as we age, our skin changes dramatically. We do not have the same levels of elastin and collagen that we had when were were in our teens and 20s. As we age, our skin becomes thinner and much more fragile. It is appropriate to be as careful as absolutely possible.

The best thing that I would advise is to make sure that your diet is a good healthy one with plenty of vitamins and minerals in it. Be sure to drink an adequate amount of water daily. And, obviously, try to avoid any impacts that will cause such blood blisters.

Best,

Dr. Evans

mcombsphx replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
I received a blood blister after having my nails done. The gal doing my nails used the drill under the nail to take away excess acrylic. Since the blister formed 2 or 3 weeks ago, it has broken twice, making a bloody mess (since it's on the tip of my finger just under the edge of the nail). But after putting antibiotic ointment and a band aid on it the first time, the blister formed again, broke again, and now has formed again. Is there another type of ointment I should use? Or am I doing the right thing in the first place? This is my first experience with anything like this, so not sure what to do.

Susan Evans, MD replied to mcombsphx's response:
As long as you don't observe any signs of infection (heat, redness, swelling, pus formation) you're doing the right thing. If you develop any signs of infection, it is appropriate to get a medical evaluation to make sure this doesn't become a bigger problem.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Niahsmommy_10 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Hey my mom has a big blister on her toe it has started to turn
black I want to know what I should do?

igetadeal responded:
I see all the discussion about large skin pinch. I have a suggestion for you that is try obagi products. It is very effective for this kind of skin care problem. But one more thing that is you have to properly maintain your treatment. Hope you well very first.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.