Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Carbamazepine stops the itch
besterheart posted:
I suffer from RSD, Trigeminal Neuralgia and have had spinal fusion surgery on C4-C5 and C5-C6. I also have lumbar spinal problems, which cause all sorts of pain, severe burning, tingling, etc.

My Neuro prescribed Carbamazepine last year to treat the Trigeminal Neuralgia and RSD pain symptoms, so that I'd be able to get through my physical therapy sessions after my cervical spine surgery. It helped quite a bit. However, I began developing unrelated and recurring severe sinus infections for which I need surgery. I had to start taking Biaxin (the other antibiotics were not working). I was told to suspend the Carbamazepine by the Pharmacist, because of some sort of negative interaction.

Over a month ago, I developed such severe itching, especially at night, that I could not sleep. I tried all the antihistamines and changing laundry detergents and bathing soaps, as well. This was all useless. I tried Diazepam, Paroxetine and Gabapentin (all prescribed by GP), but nothing worked. Well, about a week ago, I was about to run to the ER because I could no longer take this horrible itch and I could feel a bad Trigeminal Neuralgic flare onset. I decided to immediately take a Carbamazepine 200mg pill. The very first thing to improve was the itch and then, of course, the facial pain improved. The itch tries to peak through every once in a while, but as soon as I take the Carbamazepine it disappears. I will bring this up in my upcoming Neuro visit, to see what my doc says. However, this is what seems to be working for me and I thought I'd share it with you all.
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.