Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Got the Itch?
VitoAnneCornelius posted:
I'm a 38 year old female living in the Bay Area of California. I'm not a health professional, but the following are things I've noticed , or things that have helped me, when I get that maddening itchiness:

Unscented lotion (I like Gold Bond Ultimate Soothing Skin Therapy Cream).

Aloe vera gel (I like to refrigerate mine).

Witch hazel (Again, I like to refrigerate mine).

Cooler water when bathing or showering helps soothe skin and is less drying than hot water.

Drink a LOT of purified or filtered water.

In my experience, when I've had too much citric or acidic food in diet, touching or ingesting, it seemed to irritate my skin.

Baking soda or oatmeal in bath may help. I've used baking soda sprinkled in the bath water.

Making sure ceiling fan, vents, air conditioner, open windows where fans are next to, are all very clean —I use a solution of rubbing alcohol (½ water, ½ rubbing alcohol) in a spray bottle to kill dust mites.
Air purifier (Make sure it's cleaned regularly).

Water purifier for shower and bath (While this may be expensive, chemicals in the water, or the water treatment to the water, may irritate some people's skin.

Make sure your towels are clean —and possibly switch them out every other day. And don't share bath towels.

I know this has been mentioned, but unscented and allergen-free laundry detergent can be a real boon. When using the washing machine, I make sure it doesn't have mold growing in it, is cleaned regularly, and the dryer is wiped down regularly.

If using a community/apartment complex laundry facility, I make sure they clean it regularly (although you might have to wipe it down yourself, if you're not sure), and the dryer lint catcher, and around it, are cleaned out. Recently, I had to clean out the filters because I noticed a significant amount of cat hair and gunk clogging the vent next to the lint filter. I'm allergic to cats, and other people's dander, I'm sure, populated these filters, as well. Gross, I know.

Take a cool shower to rinse off immediately after working out —including my hair. I've found that, especially when walking outside, I get allergens on my skin, and in sweat, and my system gets overloaded.

Also, while just one irritant may not be enough to get you itching, it's possible that in the warmer weather, or in certain places, your system might get overwhelmed with irritants and allergens.
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

igetadeal responded:
You can use Obagi skin care product which is very helpful for this kind of skin care problem. So start treatment against itching. Igetadeal offer cheap obagi discount. So buy obagi.

skinvogue responded:
Your skin itching problem is quite normal. The cause may be your living area. But now you have to take care of your skin problem. Otherwise it could be a big issue of skin problem. You can use obagi, it is a pure natural based skin care product. Obagi kits are all in one.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.