Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ITS NOT YOU BUT YOUR ENVIRONMENT
Ruthie_Rivera posted:
Hi ALL- THIS IS LONG but PLEASE read

I too, have been suffering. For about 6 years... BUT.. on and off...Yes.. ON and OFF- so keep reading!!
It started when i went to live with my Dad after college. (a home i didn't grow up in). Lets just say when it started I was in AGONY.... I went through the casual itching either when waking up or after showering, but it got worse and started happening every time I showered.
I moved out and moved into an apt with some roommates for about 2 years. I NEVER, ONE reaction... like something changed... my life was normal again. Seriously.
After this, I went to live with some relatives. NO JOKE, it ALL CAME BACK, mostly on my lower legs, sometimes on my thighs.. I started putting ICE all over my legs, it was the only thing that helped!! this was for about 10 months.
I then moved into my own apartment for 1.5 years and guess what NOOOOO itching- at all after that. 1.5 amazing years with NOOOO ITCHING!
I got married 5 months ago and we moved into a rental home. And I am suffering AGAIN with this terrible itching we all HATE!
This is huge evidence to me that the reactions are caused by some kind of allergen in my surroundings. I haven't changed my diet, I have remained the same weight give or take 5 pounds over the last several years..and have had no severe health problems. I am healthy.
The only common denominator to my reactions is the change in location...literally.. SO ODD
I have been thinking.. what have all these places had in common..?
It is hard to remember what my parents house was like - it was so long ago.
However, when I went to stay with my extended family after living with my roomies, they had me stay in a "guest wing" which was a converted garage.. I don't even think the walls were insulated.. It was FREEZING in the winter and SOOO hot in the summer. Not regulated. The house I am in now is pretty humid (Its really old, not well insulated) when it rains it smells a bit musty. sometimes our couch feels clammy because the air is damp. I don't remember my parents house being "damp", but the humidity level could have been higher than it should, or just enough for mold or dust mites to foster (ill get to that below).
Both places I lived when I had NO itching were in NO WAY humid or damp and were smaller apartments easily controlled by the AC/Heating unit.
Where does this leave us??
Many allergens, mold, dust mites etc can ONLY live and grow in environment's where there is enough moisture. I really think this has a lot to do with the reactions we are having.
I noticed someone saying they have tried doing all the recommended things to kill and prevent dust mites but are still itching... So i don't know if everything was done right or if it is mold spores that are the cause.
I want to move back to my old apartment building like ASAP but have a ridiculous lease agreement here. BUT my landlord seems very willing to get the moisture out of the house- especially since we HAVE found mold and because it smells bad after it rains or is a really humid day.
I am going to try a few things and then get back to all of you to keep you "in the know".
We are doing mold testing this week and hopefully getting a dehumidifier soon. I will do the mattress covering stuff as well!! I want to get this house regulated. NO moisture!
LETS HOPE i find something out!!! I will post again!!!

In the meantime- use APPLE CIDER VINEGAR! I take a shot before taking a shower (that may be useless) more importantly- Pour onto your legs after showering.. IT WILL BURN if you just shaved then immediately put a calming lotion on after. Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural ant-bactirial and fungal killer and helps with itching. I found this online and thought I would try it.. it helps a lot! I take a shot of it just because i want to believe that helps too
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Bedbug ProblemsExpert
Dear Readers, Bedbugs are making a comeback in the U.S. They had all but disappeared through the 1970's and 1990's. Recently they have ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.