Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Religious Nightmares
jcmcgeekster posted:
Would anybody mind assisting with some religious nightmares I have had since I was a little boy? I don't understand them and I've asked various therapists and psychologists, but never anybody experienced with dreams. They are very, very powerful... imagery is very strong and the senses are very detailed. I cannot emphasize this any more. Terrifying.

In general, I'm just looking for advice, interpretations, ANYTHING to assist me with understanding them. I will tell you they happen around once every few years... sometimes twice a year. I hope someone can help.

PS: I WILL PROVIDE DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS OF THE DREAMS NEXT TIME PROVIDED I AM ASKED TO. THANK YOU.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear jcmcgeekster,

I don't know a thing about Dream Interpretation , but if you click on the link I've provided, there's a three page article on it that may help you. You might want to consider discussing the dream with a psychologist, therapist, religious counselor, or perhaps even a sleep expert to get to an explanation or find out the meaning behind it.

Hope you find your answers,

Byroney

jcmcgeekster replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you so much, I will check out the link soon and be sure to look more into it ! Thanks!

branduth responded:
hi, if you've had these dreams since childhood, do you think you may have been exposed to SAR? (satanic abuse ritual) or some other type of religious ritual? Children don't dream about certain things unless they've been exposed to it (e.g. sex). I'm not trying to scare you or go to the extreme but unless you are 100% sure that you were not exposed to SAR you shouldn't discount it. Sometimes horrible unimaginable things happen to people/kids and they partially block them instictively, but not completely hence the nightmares. check the SAR survivors websites; these things do exist, unfortunately.

SleepyLiz responded:
I just found the sleep discussions today, so if you've found answers, I would love to hear them! I am most definitely NOT an expert, just very intrigued and hope I can help share some insight. I have always had very "memorable" dreams. In college, my roomates would joke that some of my dreams could be turned into movies. They're so detailed. Some are just so wild that there is no explaining. However, I do have several recurring dreams. It may not be the exact same every time, but the main plot is the same. I actually have around 3 different subjects of recurring dreams. I've spent years trying to figure out what they mean. I've read almost every dream interpretation book I could get my hands on. The problem is that there is no clear cut answer. Dreams don't always mean what they show you literally. I've stopped trying to "define" my dreams and have now begun attempting to psychoanalyze them. I don't really consider it interpreting, but just reflecting. When I wake up, I try to think about what exactly happened in the dream and how the specific imagery and sensations made me feel.
One main thing to keep in mind in your research is that there is no hard and fast, end-all-be-all answer. I hate to tell you that. Many factors contribute to your dreams and what they mean to YOU. You and I could dream the exact same dream and have two completely different "take aways" from it. Circling around to your specific issue...what is your religious "history" (were you raised in a specific religion, do you still practice that religion, etc)? How is your sleep "in general"? Are all your dreams "detailed"? Do you suffer from depression/anxiety/ADHD? Like I said, many factors contribute to your dreams and their meanings.
Now that I've written a mini-novel...I would love to try my hand at helping you if you want. Again, I'm not an expert. I am not a psychologist/theologist/neurologist or anything that makes me certified to help you other than that I too have had some very POWERFUL dreams throughout my life and may be able to offer some insight.

angelrayne responded:
I understand where your comming from-I have these apocalyptic nightmares that would prob make some awesome movies-but sadly they are not. I wished they were only a horror film. I too have had them my whole life. I had one just last night and I can't even find a starting point for it-and Im going to school for applied behavioral sciences and have an associates in human services. Lots and lots of psychology plus a hobby in dream interpretation. Its like elusive. I found a little bit of info in prophetic dreaming that kinda helped a tiny bit. Maybe you could start there! I hope you find what your looking for!

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center